Blind spot check-up overdue
In my fifty years experience in couple and family therapy I have come to five absolute certainties – one per decade:
1. if you are in a relationship of 9 years duration you are two years overdue for a blind spot/left field check-up.
2. It’s a challenge finding competent couple therapists.
3. It’s more challenging getting both partners agreeing to therapy.
4. The majority of couples show up broken.
5. It IS sometimes too late BUT the worst cases often have the biggest turn arounds.
Approaching my sixth decade I have one more certainty,
6. Intimacy is our last sanctuary.